Hello, there! Irth is currently in the early stages of development. We’re learning a lot of new things about the app and our users every single second. As we begin to open to a broader audience, we expect our guidelines to evolve. As we grow, let’s keep one thing clear: we expect everyone in the Irth community to treat each other as you would like to be treated: respectfully, with kindness and compassion. Just because you can’t see a face, doesn’t mean that your words cannot hurt the person on the other side of the screen.
As we want to keep this a safe place for everyone, if you see anyone who violates these guidelines, please report them to us right away at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you.
These Community Guidelines are meant to help you better understand:
- Our principles that we think make the Irth app and community a special place;
- The primary roles that users play in Irth;
- The rules we expect you to abide by as an Irth user; and
- What you can do if you come across inappropriate
Irth was designed to be a space for authentic conversation and expression – where Black people and brown birthing people of color can share their prenatal, birthing and pediatric experiences of care with others around the world. Below are a few important guiding principles that we believe are important.
- Be yourself. The authenticity of Irth begins with its
- Be respectful. This applies to every person, at all
- Be inclusive. Tolerate, welcome and consider diverse people and
- Build empathy. Create reviews that are in good
- Foster meaningful and genuine connections. This is what Irth is all
These are the principles of Irth. If you feel that a user is not embodying the principles of the Irth community, please see the Rules section for further instruction.
When using the Irth app, you agree to abide by the Rules at all times. You also agree to not encourage other users to violate these rules. Violating our Rules is a serious offense and can also result in the removal from the Irth community.
The Rules are:
- You must use a real name and identity on the
- You must be at least 13 years of age to use Irth or older if required by your
- You may not engage in abuse, bullying or harassment of any person or groups of people with racist, sexist or hate
- You may not discriminate against, engage in hateful conduct directed at, or threaten violence or harm against any person or groups of
- You may not share, threaten to share or incentivize the sharing of other people’s private information without their prior
- No spamming other Spam includes promotional materials and excessive self-promotion.
- Reviews are based on personal prenatal, birthing and pediatric experiences of care. Reviews discussing vaccinations, birthing complications and anomalies, and unverified medical advice, or misinformation are strictly the opinion of the Reviewer and should not be taken as definitive medical
Please do not reply to comments or reviews that shouldn’t be in the community. Replying gives the author validation and encourages bad behavior. If you see inflammatory content, just report it to email@example.com and our Moderators will review the matter for possible next steps.
Moderators actively monitor content on Irth and reserve the right to remove any review and/or any user account for any reason at any time, including reviews or other content that Moderators, in their sole discretion, believe violates the Rules. Irth also reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to make decisions on whether any corrective, disciplinary, or other action is warranted—including suspension or termination of user accounts.
While Irth takes violations of its Rules seriously, Moderators and site operators are under no obligation to enforce the Rules on your behalf and take no responsibility for any content posted by community members. For more detail on content posted by community members, please see our Terms of Service.
Racist, Sexist & Hate Speech
If you wouldn’t say it to someone you just met in person, you shouldn’t be writing it to other people online. Inflammatory speech is against everything we stand for. We take the truth of everyone’s inalienable rights very seriously. Our belief in them has acted as our inspiration since the founding of Irth. We proudly stand rooted in inclusivity and diversity.
Any content (including in profiles, reviews and messages) that promotes or condones racism, bigotry, violence, hate, dehumanization, or harm against individuals or groups based on things like race, ethnicity, disability, age, nationality, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religion, appearance, or
occupation/association with a group is strictly forbidden and may result in you being permanently banned.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Profiles and reviews which are found to be overtly combative or
- Comments explicitly or implicitly commenting on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, appearance, disability, immigration status or any other defining
- Hateful slurs, offensive statements, coded language, dog whistles or references related to an individual or group, including:
- Claims of physical, mental and moral inferiority;
- Calls for or justification of violence against them;
- References to them as animals, inanimate objects, or other non-human entities; and
- Promotion or justification of exclusion, segregation or
A good rule of thumb is if you’re unsure if you should say it, don’t. If you see a user violating our Rules, we encourage you to report them.
Irth strives to be an inclusive, welcoming community and would never want a voice to diminish that. We seek to be fair, consistent and responsive in addressing all reported incidents. If you feel a user is in violation of Irth’s Rules, here’s what you should know about reporting another user for a Rule violation:
- If you submit a report, we will not share your identity with the person you are
- All reports that are submitted will be reviewed and The need for and type of action needed, including any corrective or disciplinary action, will be determined on a case-by-case basis at Irth’s sole discretion.
- If the violation directly targeted you, we will share certain information about the process and resolution with you (e.g., the stage of investigation, any concerns that you may be at risk for immediate harm, information on how the resolution can impact you, ).
- Intentional, false reports of violations are treated as a violation of the Rules and subject to possible immediate dismissal from the Irth
If another user has reported you for violating a Rule, here’s what you should know:
- If a report has been filed against you, we will contact you through your Irth account with information on the nature of the We may keep some detail private in order to protect the reporting user(s). If we are unable to reach you, we may restrict your account access temporarily until we are able to do so.
- We will notify you of the result of the investigation and its potential impact to
- If you believe a report has been falsely filed against you or you would like to appeal a decision, please contact us as soon as possible and include as much context in your message as you
- Any attempt to retaliate against users who participate in reporting or investigation is a violation of these Rules and will result in immediate
We take our Community Guidelines very seriously and ask that you follow them in the spirit in which they are intended. We further recognize that these guidelines will continually evolve, so please contact us with questions, suggestions or comments on how we can improve.
Thank you for reading and helping us build an amazing community for Black and brown birthing people and all marginalized groups. Together, we can!
Kimberly Seals Allers & the Irth Team